+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Potting Mix for Phalaenopsis

Best Potting Mix for Phalaenopsis

Where can I get a good potting mix to repot my Phal? I have read here about perlite. Where can I get perlite?
    Repotme.com sells Classic Orchid Mix which consists of :Fluffy 5 star long fiber Chilean sphagnum moss is blended with sponge rock and granite chips . They also have another that they call Phal Bark All-Purpose Classic Orchid Mix and it has: Medium Fir Bark, Medium Spong Rock ,Medium Charcoal and Granite Chips. Which one is the best? Is it true that you need to soak the bark for 24 hours before using it?
    Any suggestions???

Administrator
    I use the bark mix, yes i soak mine. The moss rots roots quickly if you over water.

Bree,
    I repotted my first orchid but I did not soack the bark. I did let water run after repotting and let it drain before putting it back into the clay pot. This was 5 days ago. Today I sticked my finger into the bark to see how it felt and to the touch is just plain dry. Does this mean that i should, like you said, soak the bark before repotting?

Administrator
    yeah new bark seems to be sort of water proof. It shouldn't matter though, just don't over water thinking the barks dry when in the middle/bottom it probly isn't. 5 days is a fair amount of time to dry out though, it would neally need watering again anyway i think (not knowing your conditions). You'll get use to orchid bark feeling dry straight after watering when its not dry though. This is what orchids want..a soak and then to dry quickly and not stay wet.
    Try soaking the bark next time and see if theres any difference.

+ Reply to Thread