+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting back dendrobium orchid

Cutting back dendrobium orchid

Hello. I am new to this forum and was looking for info on a rescue orchid. I have two phalaenopsis that I rescued from the store that are now doing well. My most recent addition is a dendrobium orchid.

When I found it, it had no leaves and was completely dried out. It has two tall shoots sticking up but no leaves coming from them. At the base of one shoot, a new one is growing, complete with leaves. The old shoots are green. Should I cut them back or just leave them alone? Thank you! <br><br>Post edited by: immatater, at: 2007/08/14 03:04
    Attached Images

No one knows huh? Then I guess I'll learn by trial and error, LOL! I cut back the smaller shoot. We'll see what happens. **crosses fingers**

Administrator

Wow, Immatater, I must have missed your posting :blush: I have no idea how this could happen since I stroll the forum meticulously :blush: Please keep us updated, and sorry for the 'big goof' on my part in overseeing this thread :blush:

Hi Immatater,

I have one dendro quite similar to yours. I ve repotted them last week. No good sign as yet. But will wait for another week. It looks healthy though. Will post photo here later. S/one suggested that I shld cut/break the shoot into 2 and repot them. will try that if the current treatment is not successful.

GOOD LUCK TO ME......!!!!

I wouldn't cut any of the old shoots. Dendrobium phalaenopsis blooms on both new and old growths. You may be depriving yourself of future flowers if you cut them. Besides, I think they help to anchor the plant. Hope this helps.

Administrator

Yes, Nancy - I think that's of help. If......... he will see this advise, that is..

Re:Cutting back dendrobium orchid

To make cutting of Demdromium, you can take a healthy shoot an cut it in about 3in long, between knots.

Place the on a tray with humid muss and cover it. Place it in a bright and warm place and with in 4 weeks you should have a new plant coming up.

Remember to fertilize your orquid, and that will improve flowering and reproduction.

I hope this help<br><br>Post edited by: Friesther, at: 2008/12/29 21:30

Re:Cutting back dendrobium orchid

Friesther, welcome to the forum. This is a fairly old thread so I'm not sure if the original poster will see your advice. However, other members should see that there is a new post on this thread.

+ Reply to Thread