+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: help with miltonias

help with miltonias

[img] Hello, i have been growing orchids for only a few years and am now having a few problems with my miltonias, i would be greatful for any tips and advice, as the plants are growing well as its only a couple of months till flowering season for them, but now the leaves are becoming shriveled on the ends and a rusty colour is developing:sick: i hope their not too sick, i have been usuing an anti fugal i got at an orchid show on them but it hasn't made any difference. also i water 2 times a week and apply aquasol, and seasol at 1/2 rate alternatly, their not root bound, in fresh mix, and dont appear overly wet or dry. i dont know what else to do see picture<br><br>Post edited by: chriso, at: 2008/10/06 01:50

help with miltonias

Chriso, welcome to the forum. I hope that you will receive good information about the problems you are having with your miltonias. A picture showing the conditions you mention would be very helpful to members to make recommendations.

help with miltonias

i tried to load an image in .jpeg form but it hasnt shown up

Administrator

Re:help with miltonias

does it need to be down sized?

Chriso, before uploading your photo be sure to shrink it to no more than 500 pixels in size. Good luck!

Hiya Chriso,

I have a Miltoniopsis, which is very similar to the Miltonia, they are sometimes and often confused for one another, however require very similar conditions. From research I did for mine I found that when the leaves become shriveled, it means they do not have enough water.

I don't know how well you can see in the picture below but is this something similar to what is happening to yours?

I find that once water is given at the correct amount, this shrivel will remain in that place, but all further growth will be normal.

If the plant is a rusty colour, that normally indicates the wrong light conditions, they need a bright place but no direct sun light, shade is needed also, Miltonia's do not like fluctuating conditions so you need to make sure that where it is placed it has a constant regulation of its conditions, the need constantly moist air and compost which is kept moist but not water logged. If any of these conditions fluctuate the plant will not tolerate it thus showing signs such as yours. The only difference between the Miltonia and Miltoniopsis is the the latter is more tolerant of fluctuations in conditions.

Hope this helps.

Administrator

wow kitty weird!

Kitty, great information for Chriso. I hope that it helps him out with his problems.

thanks kitty26, i have moved the plants to the bottom shelf in the shade house and i will try placing them on a humiditray, a dish of water filled with pebbles, i have this in place for a couple of other plants and they like it, i had previously thought that it would be too much moisture for them but i will try it and see if they improve. ( although its been raining for the past week and predicted for the nextr week also, so they should be right for water for a little while. thanks heaps.

i will try again with a pic<br><br>Post edited by: chriso, at: 2008/10/13 04:01
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread